Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 7: Scan

Day 7 and we had our aptly named 'Day 7 scan' this morning.

I was super nervous before the scan because I knew how much it was going to hurt. Funnily enough it actually wasn't that bad.

The nurse found my right ovary with no problems, and it is developping lots of small follicles at this stage  which is good, fingers crossed that most of them will develop into mature follicles, or at least be well on their way to becoming mature follicles by Thursday.

My left ovary was much more difficult to find, and when the nurse finally did locate it.........well, it didnt seem to be doing much. There were no identifiable follicles developping yet.

The nurse went to check with the Dr. about whether we should increase the level of hormones or leave it the same for now. The Dr. thought it would be better to leave the levels alone for now as because of my age, I would be quite likely to develop Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome (which can be fatal).

So, we will be up and down to Cork for the next few days and they will decide on Thursday what is the best course of action to take.

I suppose, mostly, we were surprised by the level of flexibility that we are being afforded with the whole process. On Day 1 we were handed a schedule calendar and I suppose we just assumed that we would have to stick rigidly to this time-frame. Turns out they can change levels and schedules to suit how my body is reacting to the whole process.

This flexibility kinda helps to relieve the worries we had about messing up the whole cycle by doing something wrong or at the wrong time.

so, Day 7 down, injections done with little effort, and we are both feeling very positive.

I do, however, look about 7 months pregnant as my abdomen is very swollen. I'm getting a few inquisitiive looks from people wondering if I am about to tell them some wonderful news.

Fingers crossed it won't be long til we will be revealing wonderful news to the world.xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment