Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 20 ..........Successful Transfer...!!!

Day 20 and I got pretty much no sleep lastnight, I was just really anxious about today.

I got up early and headed into work for a bit, just to pass the time.

I couldn't wait til 10:30 though, I rang the clinic at 10:10 and was put through to the lab. At that stage, they were able to tell me that the embryo had been thawed and had survived the thawing process. At that point, it hadn't started to swell yet, so they were going to leave it about another 30 minutes and if it did not start to swell at that point, they would thaw another embryo. Fortunately the embryo did start to swell a few minutes later and was looking very very healthy.

We headed down to the Clinic and got there just after 12, had to wait about 10 minutes and then we both got gowned up and went down to one of the recovery rooms. We had to sign some more consents and got to talk with the embryologist for a bit. Then we went in to the operating theatre. The Dr. did some scans first to make sure everything was ok and to ensure that no cysts had appeared in the past week.

Then the Dr inserted this big metal speculum thing.....Holy Mother Of Christ..............the size of it...!!!!! That was bad enough...but once it was in place he made it expand............the pain, oh Jesus, the pain...!!!

He then informs me that it will have to stay in place for about 15 minutes while the embryo is being loaded into the catheter. Eventually the lab technician arrived with the loaded catheter and they checked like 10 times to make sure it was the correct embryo ....ie...that it was actually belonging to Patrick and I..!!!

During the actual transfer I only felt a little pinch and it was over very quickly. The removal of that speculum hurt really bad as well, but it didnt take long.

We had to wait around for a bit but we got back on the road quickly and I've been on the couch ever since.

Moving around is very painful and Patrick is being an absolute star. I slept for about 2 hours when I got home. I have to have complete bedrest for 3 days and then take it very easy for the rest of the 14 day period.

We have to test on the 16th to see if the embryo has successfully attached to the womb (I'm having lots of cramps...so that is a good sign)..................so 13 sleeps to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment