Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 21: OHSS?

Day 21 and I woke up during the night in awful pain.

I called the Clinic first thing and they said I needed to come and see them straight away.

We got to the Clinic and they immediately scanned me. This scan hurt so much, because of course I am still bruised and swollen from the op on Saturday. I was screaming at Patrick to get the Dr. to stop, of course the Dr. couldnt stop, he had to measure the size of my ovaries.

I'm crying in pain, the nurse is trying to get me to concentrate on my breathing and then I catch a glimpse of my husband's face and notice the tears in his eyes at watching what I am going through.

My ovaries are supposed to be less than 5cm x 5cm, the right one is 8.2cm x 7.6cm, the left one is 7.2cm x 6.9cm. The Dr. has huge concerns that I am developping Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome and I semm to have contracted an infection after the Egg collection operation.

So, basically the story is that they think they will not be able to go ahead with the scheduled embryo transfer on Thursday as this could cause the OHSS to get worse. They will scan me again on Wednesday morning and make the decision then; best case scenario: the OHSS has settled down and they will go ahead with the transfer on Thursday, worst case scenario: they freeze all of the embryos and hope they survive the freezing and thawing process and implant in 3 months or however long it takes for my body to return to a healthy level.

So, for now, I am on 9 different medications, which include 4 lots of antibiotics, progesterone, steroids and innohep injections to prevent my blood from thikening and causing blood clots.

I am in a lot of pain on my right side and am not able to walk or move around.

I need to drink lots and lots of fluids and hope for the best for Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment