Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Healing Needles From Healing Hands

Sooo... its been just over 5 weeks since I had surgery and I am just now finally starting to feel a bit better. About 3 weeks ago, I started getting the most awful, really debilitating migraines. I was getting them every day, they were coming on very early in the morning and lasting 8-9 hours.

After the last visit with Gordon, I really was taking it easy and in all honesty... with the migraines I was getting, I really wasnt able to do anything, just lifting my head off the pillow was a very painful  experience.

Patrick called Gordon 2 weeks ago to give him an update on how I am doing and to tell him how bad the migraines had gotten. Gordon then did something that I never would have imagined... he offered to drive up here and treat me at home. I genuinely could not believe that he was willing to do that... but he was... and the following Saturday, Gordon arrived at my house equipped with needles and alcohol swabs. He put needles in my feet and in my face, one in the middle of my forehead and one in either temple. He left them in for about 30 minutes and then removed them. He then told me that he would come back up the following week to treat me again.
After he had taken those needles out... I was physically unable to do anything, the only way I can describe how I was feeling is 'completely zonked'. I fell asleep right after he had left and slept deeply for a few hours... and I slept really really well that night too.

I didnt notice much difference in the frequency and severity of the migraines in the next few days and at one point, the pain got so bad that I actually passed out with it.
Gordon came back up here last Friday and repeated the process he had done the previous Saturday. When he had removed the needles, he produced 'press needles', they look like little thumb tacks. He put two in each foot in the grove between my big toes and my second toes, He then put one on the inside of each ankle. These tacks are to be left in and changed every 48 hours.

Almost immediately I felt my head clear. I was migraine free until Sunday evening (but I was out and about on Sunday, so may have overdone it a bit), We changed the tacks on Sunday evening and once that migraine had cleared, my head didnt bother me again until yesterday, but the severity of yesterday's migraine was a lot milder than what I had been experiencing for the previous 3 weeks.

I guess I just can't believe that he went to that trouble for me... It takes over an hour to drive from Cork to here, but it just goes to show once again, how different this experience has been from our previous experiences. Now, our case is not just a number on a chart to be referenced only on invoices, Gordon Mullins actually cares about his patients and for the past 10 months, he has gone through every step of this journey with us and he is the source of all of our hope.

We went to see Gordon in Cork today and he commented on how much better I was doing, he said that I was beginning to be myself again, and he is right, I am. I am feeling much better and am ready to start getting out again.

As I lay on the table and he was checking my pulses, he said something that really put a lump in my throat. He said 'Well done on coming out the other side', He went on to say that 99.9% of people would most likely have taken the Prozac (which has been almost pushed on me several times since the surgery) but I wouldnt take it. It was amazing to me how willing Dr's were to write perscriptions. I'm sure there have been times over the past 5 weeks where it must have seemed that I was hovering on the borderline of depression... and perhaps I was, it would seem almost natural, taking into account my history and what I have just been through, but to me... I was just having bad days and having been in this situation many, many times before... I know that bad days happen and as time goes on they become less and less frequent.
I always remember what Gordon said to me after my very first visit with him... 'Remember, its just a bad day, And remember its not about the bad day, but how quickly you come out of your bad days, thats the improvement.'

In other news, my cat had three beautiful kittens 10 days ago. Two of them were healthy, but the third was delayed and when she was born, I suppose the mother cat thought she was dead and didnt really bother with her. I had to cut the cord and stimulate her to take her first breathe... which she did. The little one wouldnt latch on to the mother and the mother appeared to have no interest in her at all. We began feeding her with a syringe and she was doing really well. We rang the vet the day after she was born to be told that there is nothing that could be done and we might be best to just 'let her go'... Not on my watch...!!!

We continue to syringe feed the little one every couple of hours and she lasted well for 4 days, but when Patrick checked on her on Thursday morning, she was dead. It is impossible for me to describe how devestated we both were, I guess I dont think we were devestated about the kitten so much as what that kitten represented for us, this tiny little being who depended completely on us. Patrick buried the little one and I genuinely do not think I have ever seen him so upset.

The other two kittens were doing well... until one of them developped kitten flu. We were able to get her a powdered antibiotic but she has also stopped feeding from her mother and we are having to syringe feed her now also. The poor little thing has lost so much weight and is so weak she cant hold her head up. To be honest, we werent really expecting her to still be alive when we got back from Cork today, but she was. She is hanging in there, just barely, it will be an absolute miracle if she pulls through.

So, I'm thinking about venturing into work for a bit tomorrow, so long as the migraines stay away. I feel like I have rested completely for long enough and although I will ease myself back in to my usual hectic schedule, I do feel like it is time for me to start getting out again. I am assured that it is ok for me to do this, so long as I listen to my body and know when enough is enough.

4 comments:

  1. Hey AnnMarie really glad ur feeling better. Uve been thru so much I cant even imagine how u keep going. Gordon sounds like a real gem Im glad u n Paddy found some1 who really cares n wants to help u. Let me no when ur coming to the UK again, sending u love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Sarah, yeah really starting to feel better now, still having a good bit of pain, but I'm told I will for a while. Yeah, Gordon is a real star alright, I just know and trust that everything he says is in my best interests, he's really great.

      Oh Gosh, I have no idea when I'll be over again, had planned on going to Cambridge but ended up in hospital instead ;-) I'm thinking of maybe getting to Exeter or Bradford, will depend on work as I've missed a good bit of time now, so have some catching up to do.

      I will email you and let you know anyway.

      Thanks again for your good wishes.xx.

      Delete
  2. Tracey Keane (BPA)May 10, 2012 at 12:09 AM

    Hi AnneMarie, great to hear you are feeling a bit better. We were all talking about you at the WPA Conf in Cambridge, well actually mostly we were laughing at the time you were so excited to stand up and make your point that you got caught in your chair and fell over, I've never seen anyone get so embarrassed. Seriously though we missed you and everyone was very concerned about you. Glad you're feeling better and hope you continue to improve. Let me know if you think you will make it to Brighton or Exeter, Be good to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey, hope you're well. OMG I was so mortified, wasn't easy facing everyone the next day, but hey, we had a laugh...along with all the 'She's Irish, is she drunk?' comments... Oh God, the mortification...!!!

      Anyway, yeah I'm doing a good bit better, thanks. Was just saying to Sarah there that I will prob go to Exeter or Bradford, not too interested in the Brighton line-up this year.
      I'll let you know anyway, I haven't even checked the dates yet.

      Take care Hun and thanks for your good wishes.xx.

      Delete