Saturday, May 21, 2011

Threatened Miscarriage

Ok so Thursday evening I had some cramping and shooting pains in my lower abdomen, which I just passed off as a tummy bug as Liam had been sick with a bug.

Yesterday lunchtime I had really bad pains and when I went to the bathroom, I was bleeding very very heavily. I called the Clinic in Cork and they told me to go to the nearest maternity unit as soon as possible.

We went to Clonmel straight away and the silence in the car on the way there was just deafening. We were both so convinced that I was miscarrying, we couldn't speak.

By the time we got to Clonmel I was losing a lot of blood.

They took me to the gynae emergency room and did an internal scan but I was bleeding too much, they couldnt see anything on the scan.

The Dr. then did a speculum exam (holy crap...that thing never gets easier...the pain of it...!!!), which showed that the cervix was still closed.

The Dr. then informed us that I was experiencing a threatened miscarriage which could go either way, they took some bloods and said that they would repeat the blood test on Sunday to compare the hormone levels, which will tell us whether the baby is alive or not and if he/she is alive, whether the pregnancy is progressing or whether the baby has stopped growing.

We will have the results of both tests on Monday.

So, they kept me in hospital last night, gave me some pethidine for the pain (which I was assured several times, would not have any effect on the baby or the pregnancy). The bleeding got less and less and eventually stopped around 10 pm and hasn't started again since.
The pain also settled last night, apart from a few twinges but I have been feeling those ever since the embryo transfer so I am not worried about those.

For now, I have just gotten home and am on complete bedrest with my feet up, we will go back to the hospital tomorrow for the blood tests and if all is ok, I will be on bedrest for a few weeks until we are out of the danger zone.

People keep asking how I am feeling and the honest answer is that I really don't know. I am completely on auto-pilot. We are hoping for the best, but we are so aware and conscious of my history of miscarriages, that subconsciously I think we are both preparing ourselves for yet more bad news, while holding onto any tiny bit of hope that our little baby will fight to hold on. We feel that he/she has defied all of the odds this far,that maybe, just maybe he/she will pull through this obstacle too.

We will never forget the day the Queen of England came to Cashel...!!!

2 comments:

  1. If there is a God, he will make sure you see this pregnancy through to the very end. God knows you deserve it. My family and I are following your blog and we pray for you every night.

    The LaGuire Family, Arcola, Illinios

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, I had a threatened mc with Annabel. At 10 weeks I haemmorhaged and lost tissue and was actually told that I had miscarried.

    It was only when i demanded I was scanned, two weeks later, that I learned I had a tear under the placenta.

    A couple more bleeds after that inc hospital admission and then a completely normal pregnancy.

    Bleeding in pregnancy is one of the scariest things imaginable. I'm praying for you like mad, no one deserves a baby more than you.

    If you ever need to chat you know where to find me, I'm always here for you, Debbie xxxx

    ReplyDelete