Monday, February 4, 2013

One Step Forward...... Fifteen Steps Back.......

We went to The Kilkenny Clinic today and even though we went with the intention, or at least the hope of starting treatment on my next cycle.... which should have filled both of us with hope..... neither of us could sleep last night. I lay awake all night sweating with anxiety...... Patrick tossed and turned all night and kept waking up. I guess on some level we knew it wasnt going to be what we wanted.


And... of course... our subconscious thoughts were right. Apart from some minor setbacks like Folate and Vitamin D levels being low,we were doing ok.... 2 cycles of supplements and a few more blood tests will sort those out.

Nah, of course that couldnt be the extent of what was wrong.

The Dr. we met today was extremely concerned that my recurrant pregnancy loss was never really fully investigated, things like my immune levels and clotting ability were never tested, and they needed to be done before we could start any treatment.

Another few tests... nothing to worry about... until we got to talking about the excrutiating pain that I still experience for a week during every cycle, and for 2 weeks on the cycles that I ovulate on my left side........

Can you say Endometriosis...???????

Yep.... that lovely disorder where the womb lining grows and develops outside the womb.... causing excrutiating pain, miscarriages and is the leading cause of hysterectomy in young women.... Yep.... something else to worry about...!!!

I am having tests tomorrow, meeting with the surgeon in Kilkenny on Wednesday and they want to operate ASAP. They won't really know how bad it is until they open me up.
Best Case Scenario..... they can burn away the lining outside the womb giving us a window of between 6 and 12 months to get pregnant, before it returns.
Worst Case Scenario...... I wake up from theatre minus a reproductive system.

The Dr today said it will be a very high risk operation anyway due to the sheer number of surgeries I have had in the past 3 years, but unfortunately surgery is the only option.

A very very hard pill to swallow........





No comments:

Post a Comment