Sunday, March 1, 2015

Nothing Is Ever Easy.......

We went to the hospital early on the Wednesday morning, I hadn't slept well, I'd been restless all night. I knew this was a simple operation, or I suppose, much less complicated than anything I'd had done in the past, but I was terrified of the anaesthetic. Not outwardly terrified in a panicky way, but I was calmly terrified (If that makes any sense). I knew my wisdom teeth had to come out, I wasn't worried about that part, but deep in my heart I knew there was a distinct possibility that 'that' could happen again, and I was acutely aware of how lucky I was to be alive after the last time, what if I wasn't so lucky this time?

I didn't want to be fussing about it..... or more, I didn't want to be vocalising it. Right before they came to bring me to theatre, I picked up my phone (yeah right, like I'd actually put it down for a second that morning...!!!), and sent a quick email to Patrick who was sitting across the room from me. It simply said 'If something goes wrong, just know that the last ten years have been perfect, because I've spent them with you. I love you.xx.' 

They brought me down to the waiting area outside the operating theatre and I spoke with the Surgeon and the Anaesthetist. They were so amazing. They checked my heart and lungs out properly. The Anaesthetist thoroughly went back through my notes and even tried to contact the previous Surgeons to find out what exactly had happened. They very much put my mind at ease, and gave me their word that they'd 'keep me alive'. 

I had asked the Anaesthetist to put me to sleep very slowly so that I didn't realise it was happening. The worst feeling in the world is that panic when you feel yourself losing consciousness, losing control, and there's nothing you can do about it. With my heart pounding in my chest, I got a bit sleepy..... and then I woke up. I'd been in theatre for two hours and twenty minutes. Of course it was a very difficult extraction, they had a lot of trouble getting the teeth out because all 4 were very badly impacted. When I woke up I felt like I couldn't breathe, my tongue was so swollen, I felt like I was choking. I spent a long time in the recovery room, before being brought back to the room where Patrick was waiting for me. He took my hand and said 'I got your message, everything is going to be okay'. I was monitored for a few hours to make sure everything was okay with my breathing (I always have breathing problems after an anaesthetic), but soon I was given some ice-cream to try and then we were on our way home.

I was still numb for most of that evening, but as soon as the numbness started to wear off... the pain started, and gosh was it bad. The next day, my face was the size of a watermelon. It was so swollen, my lips and chin were sunken in my face. For the next few days the swelling and bruising continued to get worse, the pain was horrific, I couldn't talk - my throat was so sore, and just no sound was coming out when I tried to talk, I could only manage slushed ice, and I was feeling just extremely unwell, it just wasn't right.

One of my dearest friends had the same procedure a few months ago, and she had developed a dry socket (when the blood clot comes out of the socket leaving the nerves and bone exposed and extremely painful), so I was only too well aware of the possibility of that happening. 
By the Saturday morning, three days after the surgery, I just knew something was wrong. Patrick rang the Dentist for me, and he agreed to see me straight away. The Dentist said he has never seen anyone so swollen after having that procedure, and he was extremely concerned about my inability to speak and difficulty in swallowing. Gaining access to the surgical sites was near impossible as I could barely open my mouth due to the swelling, but he managed to get a tiny mirror in there and his immediate response was 'Anne-Marie, I think we need to get you to a hospital'. I had a bad infection and sepsis was setting in. The Dentist rang the Surgeon who suggested getting loaded doses of Penicillin into me immediately, and if that didn't work I'd need IV antibiotics within six hours. The Surgeon had contacted Aut Even hospital to put them on standby, so that if I did need to go there, they'd be ready for me and could administer the medications as quickly as possible.
Luckily, the loaded doses of Penicillin seemed to be working and I had perked up a good bit by that evening. I was then put on a course of 4 antibiotics to keep the sepsis at bay. 

The pain seemed to ease a bit after a few more days, and the swelling was hugely reduced. It seemed that all was heading in the right direction and I'd turned a corner.
Fast forward to Wednesday evening (seven days after the surgery), one of the blood clots came loose and fell into my mouth and I spat it out. The following morning the pain in my upper right socket was excruciating. We rang the Dentist again and again, he agreed to see me straight away. He managed to get the mirror into my mouth to confirm that it was a dry socket, but he then broke the news to me that there is nothing they'd be able to do to treat it. They would usually irrigate it and pack it with a gauze to keep it protected from exposure, but unfortunately the stitches in my gums are too tight and that is restricting my ability to open my mouth more than a few millimetres, this meant that they couldn't remove the stitches for the same reason... they couldn't access them. The Dentist sent me home with a prescription for pain medications, and said that they could try again in seven days, when hopefully the stitches will have dissolved by then and access to the sockets would be possible. 

The pain is awful and nothing seems to be helping much. On Friday evening, two more blood clots came out (bottom right and top left), meaning that I now have three untreatable dry sockets. The pain is dull and throbbing, and is constant. It's the kind of pain that means you can't even hear your own thoughts, nothing helps much, and it is much worse in the morning and at night, and anytime there is cold air.  I am living on a diet of very mushy foods and liquids, anything that doesn't require chewing. 
I'm really not sure how I'm going to put up with this pain for another four days, and gosh, I so hope that these stitches will loosen up by Thursday, so that they can access and treat the dry sockets. 

This has been an awful ordeal and has prompted a lot of 'why does this stuff always happen to me?' and 'why is nothing ever easy?, why does nothing ever run smoothly for me?' thoughts. 
On the upside though, Patrick has had a very quiet few days, due to my inability to speak. My voice is back now and I'm sure he's delighted about that :-). I am really glad that I had all four wisdom teeth taken out together, because there is no way I'd ever have gone back to have that procedure again.

I think I really need to start learning to do things by halves.xx.

9 comments:

  1. U poor thing. I had 1 dry socket b4 so I can only image t pain u r in. stay positive cos u r that strong person I no where if something knocks u over ull get back up again. This will b t same. what doesn't kills us makes us stronger. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had dry socket before its horrible pain. I was told by my pharmacist of clove oil. U put it on small bit of cotton wool + place the cotton wool on the dry socket + leave it there. It's tastes disgusting but the relief from pain is worth it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Alison, I tried the clove oil at the weekend, but my gums must be raw because it just burned really bad. xx

      Delete
  2. This is really great you shared with this blog. IVF is a great option for those who are in trouble because of infertility. I also know about many real stories about IVF Treatment India that completes the families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your valuable experience with us. Eva Hospital is a well-renowned hospital for IVF treatment. To know more about us and our facilities visit our website. We are deliberated as the best IVF Center in Punjab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have suffered from adenomyosis with severe cramps during and after my period. It was very painful and heavy bleeding and severe lower back pain my pain was unbearable to a point of being not able to move and a stabbing like pain on the left of my ovaries. Pain goes away when a clot comes out. But it took a while for the clot to come out. After several meetings with my gynaecologist which she suggested "Hysterectomy" but I refused I know what Hysterectomy is and how heart aching it can be then she stated that Allopathic treatment will help in pain management but it will not cure the disease. I started treatment with a drug named "endoheal 2 mg". This gave me pain relief but reduced my periods almost to no periods with numerous side effects - spotting and fluctuation in my dates. I was not mentally satisfied to bear the side effects so I came across ''Ayurvedic doctor" who started my treatment with herbs. Though I continued above drug 'endoheal 2 mg'" parallel for nine months for easy pain management. From then I continued taking the treatment. It reduced the size of my lesion but did not reduce it further after few months. And there was no relief in pain during menstruation but my Dr. Advised me to continue it during 3 months without any gap. I had noticed a quick ageing of my skin in the last 2 years. I am a smoker but for some reason I feel my quick ageing has to do with something else because I have been smoking for a long time and it's only recently that I noticed a fast decline of my skin elasticity. After then pain radiates very badly in my left leg, lower left back and left side of my vagina. The pain normally start anytime during 3, 5,6 days, but at time I had to take a painkiller for this also as it irritates whole day. Then pain disappears after fews day. My digestion was slow but Dr. Ronnie's supplements has improved it impossible situations is becoming possible miracles gradually.

    I was lucky to read in the internet about a lady who was cured from Adenomyosis through Herbal Medication. I contacted Ronnie through an email address I got from a testimony shared on the internet. Without further delay I made an order, I switched over to it. I had great breakthrough, that in the first month, I was already testifying of the effective of the Herbal medication. After 3months course of taken the medicine, all symptoms were gone. It has been 1 year and four months since I became free from adenomyosis. Anyone who is not in my position would not understand what I went through, the heart break, the pain and how frustrated I was for 6 odd years. Believe me, it was hell. I am so happy; I never believed I will be this happy again in life. My story is quite lengthy, it might help you too. You may contact Dr. Ronnie to know more via his email on. ronniemd70@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so genuine in your posts. Miss you lots! Keep on posting and continue to heal. I pray for y'all all the time. Much love!

    best ivf centre in india

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your IVF journey with us. Your story will surely be a source of hope and support for others going through fertility struggles. Wishing you all the best on your journey to parenthood.

    ReplyDelete